The temporary bridge on Burley Griffin Way at Wallendbeen is expected to be open to motorists in late October.

The bridge at Wallendbeen is a critical connection over the main railroad but has caused motorists major detours and interruption over the last six months when it collapsed in March.

A 62-tonne piling rig has arrived on site to erect the in-ground steel supports for the placement of the 210-piece temporary bridge.

Crews have faced prolonged wet weather and found soft ground conditions on site to be less than ideal, requiring an additional steel support structure to be manufactured and installed.

As a consequence, the new temporary bridge is expected to open to traffic in late October, weather permitting.

There is a significant impact the 40- minute detour is having on the community, motorists and freight operators, however it is hoped this additional structure will ensure the crossing is safe until a permanent structure is put in place.

There are more than 20 people on site every single day working extremely hard to complete the work according to Steph Cooke.

During construction work, Burley Griffin way will remain closed at the railway line, with motorists recommended to continue to use the detour via Olympic Highway and Goldfields Way.

Crews are working on the bridge on weekdays between 6.30am and 5.30pm, weather permitting.

Extended efforts are being made from Transport for NSW to minimise the impact on the community caused by the diverted traffic movements.

Motorists are advised to drive to the adapted driving conditions and to allow five minutes extra travel time during the construction work.

Planning for a permanent bridge at Wallendbeen – which will replace the temporary one, is currently underway and will be installed once ready.

Put simply if it was Sydney it would have been fixed within a few weeks, however, as it is a bush bridge, 4 hours from Macquarie Street there appears to be little impetus to get the job done with the temporary bridge having just one lane.

Tim Warren